It’s time now to decide who will be our artists. This also has been a very difficult undertaking. We made a list of some of our favorites. We revised the list because some of the artist just didn’t fit into the theme that we had created. We made another list just in case we change themes or expanded the scope of the theme. Now we have to contact these artist. The challenges included:finding contact information, actually making contact with the artist and getting times correlated with all the different artists that wanted to actually appear at the showing and not just send a representative piece to display.
Finding current numbers on people is not as easy as it seems. This is such a fast paced world now that requires one to be fairly cautious when interacting with strangers, so we were met with a little resistance when contacting many of the artists. Our first major problem was obtaining actual contact information. Sure Google is great as are many other information sources, but these sources can only take you so far without enough information to help the information source. Why is this so? Well people have quite similar names and in big cities, there can be pages upon pages of people with the same or similar names. So much research had to be done. This was taunting at times and very frustrating. We had to compile numbers, emails and physical addresses that may or may not have been correct, but we held on to as many as we could so that we could find a system to sift through the list until we obtained a comprehensive list that was a great start to begin making call, sending emails and in some cases sending hand written letters via snail mail.
Next, we were faced with the difficult task of actually getting in contact with the potential participants. We looked at our lists and organized them again. Some, we only had numbers, others we had numbers and email addresses and just a bare minimum, were older people and we only had physical addresses that we had to hope still existed. We began going down the call list first. We really wanted to be very personal for the exhibition, so showing this first was of great importance to me. When we first tried calling, we were very unsuccessful. we only reached 2 out of twenty on the first round of dialed calls. We stayed resilient and then we began to email artists. We were hoping for a greater response by email than we had gotten by phone calls. In our minds, we had decided to call back anyway in a day or so, so we weren’t feeling the pressure yet, but boy oh boy it set in after not to long. Many letters went out also.
Hard to wait, but worth it in the end. We began to get great responses from the artists that were interested and this was great. We even got the artists to mark off the potential day for the showing on their calendars. They gladly added our event to their busy schedules. We are on our way to great success for this near future exhibition.